By Gail McDonald
- Illustrates the inventive and social weather within the united states in this period.
- Juxtaposes dialogue of background, pop culture, literature and different artwork types in ways in which foster dialogue, wondering, and persevered study.
- An appendix lists proper fundamental and secondary works, together with websites.
- An perfect complement to fundamental texts taught in American literature courses.
Read Online or Download American Literature and Culture 1900-1960: An Introduction (Wiley Blackwell Introductions to Literature) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
Realist imaginative and prescient explores the declare to symbolize the area as it's. ” Peter Brooks takes a brand new examine the realist culture and its extreme curiosity within the visible. Discussing significant English and French novels and work from the 19th and 20th centuries, Brooks offers a full of life and perceptive view of the realist venture.
Seminar paper from the yr 2010 within the topic English Language and Literature stories - Literature, grade: 2,0, college of Hannover (Englisches Seminar), direction: movie research, language: English, summary: Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau’s Nosferatu – Eine Symphonie des Grauens is a horror movie vintage from 1922.
Within the American H. D. , Annette Debo considers the importance of kingdom within the creative imaginative and prescient and lifetime of the modernist author Hilda Doolittle. Her flexible occupation stretching from 1906 to 1961, H. D. was once a big American author who spent her grownup existence in a foreign country; a poet and translator who additionally wrote experimental novels, brief tales, essays, stories, and a children’s publication; a white author with ties to the Harlem Renaissance; an highbrow who collaborated on avant-garde motion pictures and picture feedback; and an upper-middle-class girl who refused to persist with gender conventions.
One of many significant novelists in international literature during the last 5 many years, Mario Vargas Llosa (b. 1936) can be certainly one of Latin America's most tasty public intellectuals, a critic of paintings and tradition, and a playwright of contrast. This Companion's chapters chart the advance of Vargas Llosa's writings from his upward thrust to prominence within the early Nineteen Sixties to the award of the Nobel Prize for Literature in 2010.
- Shakespeare East and West
- Shakespeare's Feminine Endings: Disfiguring Death in the Tragedies (Feminist Readings of Shakespeare)
- Things to Think About: Essays 1997–2009
- At the Borders of Sleep: On Liminal Literature
Additional info for American Literature and Culture 1900-1960: An Introduction (Wiley Blackwell Introductions to Literature)
American Literature and Culture 1900-1960: An Introduction (Wiley Blackwell Introductions to Literature) by Gail McDonald